Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Skunked Dog

I have a friend whose dog recently got skunked. We haven't had that problem - though we've had our fair share of skunks. Anyway, she wrote me this note and I thought you might enjoy it. (yes, she gave me permission...) :0)


Ok, how bout this...

So, I'm washing the skunk dog just now and I'm thinking about how bad he stinks and that I love him so much, but I don't want him around me when he's like this. When we walked out the front door this morning both dogs didn't even come up to us. They both layed across the yard and just looked at us from afar. THEY even knew how much they stunk and that we didn't want them near us.

Then it hits me. Thats how it is with us when we stink from sin. It's such a foul and powerful odor to our Master. Pungent and offensive in every way. I mean Knock you over when you enter the room. As I washing the stinker (literally) he's being cowardly and sheepish, but alls I can say to him is " It's ok Buddy, I love you... Your such a good boy, almost done, Your doing great. What a sweet puppy! " So I get all done and he is so much better, there's still that slight faint aroma, as such with some of our problems , it takes a few " washing" to resolve our issues. Nonetheless, he has been acceptable cleansed and therefore our fellowship has been restored.

What hit me the most was that he was just bein' a dog. A dog who chases skunks. It's his nature. And while I don't LOVE it when he gets sprayed by life, I certainly know that he'll do it again.When he reeks that bad I don't want to snuggle him until he's clean, but I love him no less. I also know that I'm the only one who can get his stink off, and that I'll love him every time.
 
I thought that was a good reminder of how much God loves us and wants to be in relationship with us, but just can't be around our sin . . . how He's the only one that can cleanse us, and how He paid the ultimate price to do so.
 
Thank You, Abba!! :0)

*Picture from http://animal.discovery.com/mammals/skunk/

No comments:

Post a Comment