Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ever Feel Like A Pile Of Screws?

I am not much of a puzzle person. I think it's more about who I am with. If my sister walked in and saw me working on a puzzle by myself, well, she'd be shocked (and it'd have to be a pretty amazing puzzle ;0). When it comes to putting stuff together in real life, I love it. But I learned something this week . . . . it's even more fun to tear stuff apart! :0)


Don't ask, but yeah, this week I tore apart 11 or 12 old computers (not all of them had all their parts) and helped with 3 coping machines . . . . it was a pretty messy job! (People love to give us their old stuff...and I don't think we've ever thrown away a computer, haha) When we finished our first copying machine there was a pile of screws, a pile of metal, a pile of plastic, a pile of gears, a crate of wires and circuit boards . . . and toner everywhere!! :0)

Anyway, as we were working I was thinking about what would happen if someone asked me to put it back together . . . . YIKES! That would be a problem! I was also thinking about how God is so good at "putting stuff together" . . . . and He doesn't even need a pile of screws, haha! ;0) Somehow He is making a beautiful masterpiece out of my life. Sometimes it seems like my life is a whole bunch of pieces and I can't see how they all fit together, but He knows. And I can trust Him.

I learned something else this week that I can trust Him with, too. My spiritual life. (I know, duuuh, right??) It's so easy for me to keep seeking answers when I already have the answer. To struggle instead of rest. I am reading Andrew Murray's devotional "Abide In Christ". A couple of days, now, have focused on God's part in our abiding in Him . . . cause really, we can't do it! But day 13 really struck me. Here's a couple quotes . . .

"Is a life of unbroken fellowship with the Son of God indeed attainable here in this earthly life? Truly not, if the abiding is our work, to be done in our strength. But the things that are impossible with men are possible with God. If the Lord Himself will keep the soul night and day, yea, will watch and water it every moment, then surely the uninterrupted communion with Jesus becomes a blessed possibility to those who can trust God to mean and to do what He says."

"Abiding in Jesus is not a work that requires each moment the mind to be engaged, or the affections to be directly and actively occupied with it. It is an entrusting of oneself to the keeping of the Eternal Love, in the faith that [He] will abide near us, and with [His] holy presence watch over us and ward off the evil, even when we have to be most intently occupied with other things. And so the heart has rest and peace and joy in the conciousness of being kept when it cannot keep itself."
I'm so glad that God doesn't have thoughts like: "Ugh, this is a messy job!" or "Wow, this is taking a long time!" or "Uh oh, this is not turning out the way I wanted it to." I'm so glad that I can trust Him to take care of all my physical needs, my spiritual needs, and the "puzzle" of my life. Thank You, Abba!! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment