Sunday, September 26, 2010

Self-Control?!?

Today in Sunday School class we took a quick jaunt through the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23) . . . . . which is always convicting. :0) But not like it used to be . . .


I used to look at the fruit of the Spirit more like they were character qualities. "Oh Lord, I've got to work on this one . . . and this one . . . and . . ." So then you study more about that quality in hopes that it will become more evident in your life. But it's not a list of character qualities. . . . it's the fruit of the Spirit. I don't need more love, or joy, or peace . . . . I need JESUS!! More of HIM in my life! (which if you are like me, focusing on one thing is a lot easier than 3 or 9.) This fruit is what comes out of me as I am abiding in Christ. :0)

There was one part of the fruit that always bothered me, though, and I mentioned it today in class. It seems like self-control should have a different name. I mean we all know that self doesn't do a very good job of controlling itself . . . okay, well, at least I know it doesn't. I can do good for a while, but I always reach a limit - eventually. :0) And since this is a fruit of the Spirit, it's really not self that is doing the controlling. I was looking at it the same way that we look at other "self" words (like self-esteem). Pastor responded and the lights clicked on . . . it's not about self controlling itself. It's about self being controlled. And the only One that can control this self . . . is Jesus. :0)

Oh Jesus! To be so full of You that self-control is as natural as an apple on an apple tree. That's what I want - more of You in my life! :0)

PS - No . . . I did not eat the ice cream. ;0) But I might have if I'd been given the opportunity. :0)

1 comment:

  1. Just noticed that a synonym for the greek word that's translated "self-control" is a word that means "contentedness". hmmmm . . . .
    :0)

    ReplyDelete