Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How Thirsty Are You?

If you are anything like me, you don't particularly like being thirsty (or hungry!). I take my water bottle everywhere I go, for just that reason - which is why it was so odd that I ended up at one camp this summer . . . . without my water bottle (or my sleeping bag! . . . but that's another story)! Actually I have two water bottles. One is my indestructible, throw-around Nalgene, and the other is my more discreet Camelbak with-a-straw, for places like church. :0)

We are blessed to have a most amazing well where we live. I guess I am spoiled by it, cause there's no water that is quite as good - except for the spring up at Blue Lake. :0) If I have to spend the day in town, both water bottles go with me, cause the last thing I want to do is run out and have to use city water, haha.

These "confessions" make me look pretty ridiculous when I think about people in places like Africa, who have to hike for miles to carry water back to their homes. They know what it means to be thirsty . . . . and I wonder, do I?? I am grateful for organizations like Lifewater International, who build wells in African villages and share the good news of the Living Water, Jesus Christ. For about one dollar, one person can have clean drinking water for an entire year!

The real question for me, though, is "How thirsty am I for God?"

"As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God. . . ."
Psalm 42:1-2

Do I thirst for Jesus? Do I realize that I need Him more - much more - than I need my water bottle? Do I let Him satisfy every longing of  my heart, just as clear, cool, spring water quenches my thirst? He is living water to my soul! Can I ever get enough of Him?!?

I love the words of this song, "Thirsty", written by David Stewart, the choir director and worship leader at the church I attended in San Diego (then he up and moved to Knoxville...). Here is part of the song . . .

Wash the taste of dry religion from my lips
I am desperate for a holy fellowship

I am thirsty for Your love
I am thirsty for Your touch
You are everything I need
I can never get enough
Living Water to my soul
Fill me up and make me whole
I am thirsty, I am thirsty

This song comes from the first all-original album of Chillowee Hills Baptist Church - "Thirsty". Not only is it an amazing worship CD (even though a couple songs aren't quite my style), but one dollar from each CD is going to Lifewater - to build wells in Africa. :0)

You can listen to all of the songs at the Thirsty CD website, and I would encourage you to a least go and check out the song "Thirsty".

Oh Lord, I do thirst for you! Abba, may I think of You - the Living Water - every time I take a drink, and may I thirst for more of You each minute of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment