Thursday, September 30, 2010

FREEDOM!!! (part 2)

I took a break from studying Ephesians in order to study Romans 6-8. I just finished chapter 7. If you missed my summary of chapter 6, you can find it here.

The first thing that I noticed as I began to study chapter was that Paul was writing to those who "ginosko'd" the law - to those who knew the law intimately, the Jews. He starts out by showing them that you are only subject to the law if you are alive. If you are dead, how can the law have authority over you?? He concludes this claim by stating that through Jesus we have become dead to the law, in order to be married (or joined) to Him - Him who was raised from the dead, yahoo!! :0) The end result of this union is that we would bring forth fruit unto God. Previously our fruit was unto death. We were held fast by the law, but we have been delivered in order that we should serve God in newness of spirit.

Then it seems that Paul felt the need to clarify that even though we were in bondage to the law and needed to be delivered, the law is good. The problem is that sin took advantage of the law and produced death in us. The law is holy, just, and good - how can it be anything else? For it shows us the character of our holy, just, and good God. Through the commandments sin became visible and was proven to be exceedingly sinful.

In the last section of this chapter Paul talks about what it's like to be a slave to sin. You do the things you don't want to do and can't figure out how to do the things you know you should. There is a war going on between the law of sin, which is in the body (the carnal/fleshly nature), and the mind, which takes pleasure in the law of God. This is a wretched, miserable place to be, and Paul cries out - "Who can deliver me??"

Before I come to the climax of this chapter I need to tell you about this word "deliver". It obviously has to do with rescuing and snatching from danger, but there's more. The purpose behind this word is not merely to rescue from someone or something, but there's a "drawing to oneself".

So who is this One, who not only rescued us from this wretched miserable state we were in, but draws us to Himself in order that we can be joined to Him? You don't need me to tell you that it is Jesus Christ. :0) I love the way this chapter climaxes in gratefulness to God that our deliverance comes through Jesus.

When I finished studying chapter 6 an idea came to mind - that maybe those who find themselves trapped in "Romans 7 living" (I do what I don't want to do and can't do what I want to do...) haven't learned to apply the most critical command of chapter 6 to their lives - reckon (believe, know) yourself to be dead to sin. What I have found in chapter 7 has only served to confirm this idea. Thank you JESUS!! :0)

Let me conclude as I did with chapter 6 . . .

The chains are gone!! We just need to live like it. :0)

For freedom Christ has set us free;
stand firm therefore,
and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:1

No comments:

Post a Comment