Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Sands Of Time Are Sinking

This is such a beautiful hymn and seems to be too little known.

Samuel Rutherford (1600-1661) was a Scottish minister and covenenter. During his lifetime he was a professor at Edinburgh College, a pastor of the church in Anwoth, and a professor at St. Andrews. He was also a writer and was exiled for a book he wrote defending the doctrines of grace against Arminianism. Later he wrote a book called "Lex Rex" - "The Law, The King". This book argued for limited government, and limitations on the current idea of the Divine Right of Kings.

When the monarchy was restored in 1660, it was clear that the author of Lex Rex would could expect trouble. When the summons came in 1661, charging him with treason, and demanding his appearance on a certain day, Rutherford refused to go. From his deathbed, he answered, "I must answer my first summons; and before your day arrives, I will be where few kings and great folks come." He died on 30th March 1661.

Anne Ross Cousin (1824-1906) wrote the poem "Glory Dwelleth in Immanuel's Land" from the letters that Rutherford wrote while on his death bed. This 19 stanza poem was later turned into the hymn "The Sands Of Time Are Sinking".

Here are the four verses that you can find in older hymnals ~

The sands of time are sinking, the dawn of Heaven breaks;
The summer morn I’ve sighed for—the fair, sweet morn awakes:
Dark, dark hath been the midnight, but dayspring is at hand,
And glory, glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

O Christ, He is the fountain, the deep, sweet well of love!
The streams of earth I’ve tasted more deep I’ll drink above:
There to an ocean fullness His mercy doth expand,
And glory, glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

O I am my Beloved’s and my Beloved’s mine!
He brings a poor vile sinner into His “house of wine.”
I stand upon His merit—I know no other stand,
Not even where glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

The Bride eyes not her garment, but her dear Bridegroom’s face;
I will not gaze at glory but on my King of grace.
Not at the crown He giveth but on His pierced hand;
The Lamb is all the glory of Immanuel’s land.

It is fun just to read through the whole poem . . . and you can here. But I thought I would post the last two stanzas.

I have borne scorn and hatred, I have borne wrong and shame,
Earth’s proud ones have reproached me for Christ’s thrice blessed Name:
Where God His seal set fairest they’ve stamped the foulest brand,
But judgment shines like noonday in Immanuel’s land.

They’ve summoned me before them, but there I may not come,
My Lord says “Come up hither,” My Lord says “Welcome home!”
My King, at His white throne, my presence doth command
Where glory—glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

 
*Excerpts taken from here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Anne Cousin's beautiful hymn. Yes, far too little known! It was D. L. Moody's favourite, and was sung at the deathbed of Charles Spurgeon.

    If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

    And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” If you do not have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at my own, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I have been on your blog briefly, but I didn't see your book. :0)

    ReplyDelete