Friday, May 14, 2010

Valiantly!

I really like Psalm 60:12 (and 108:13 ;0) . . .

"Through God we shall do valiantly: for He it is that shall tread down our enemies."

I decided to look up the word valiantly yesterday and found that there are two words translated "valiantly". The one used in this verse is the one most commonly used. It has to do with strength, wealth, army, and influence. I also found that it is the same word that is translated "virtuous" in the books of Ruth and Proverbs. I knew that virtuous had to do with strength, but valiant adds a whole new dimension. :0)

The other word for "valiantly" is pretty cool too. It means to strengthen, to be strong, to be courageous, to overpower. It seems to be most often translated "be strong", as in "Be strong and of a good courage", Joshua 1:9. At least once it is translated "prevailed", as in when David "prevailed" over Goliath.

You are probably wondering where I am going with this . . . hang on, I'm almost there. ;0)

So with this word we have the idea of strength and courage, of prevailing and overpowering . . . Well, look at the verse I came across today as I read in "Mighty Prevailing Prayer" about wrestling with God . . .

" There is no one who calls upon Your name, who rouses himself to take hold of You..." Isa. 64:7

The word for "to take hold" is this same word for valiantly. What does it mean to be strong, to overpower, to prevail against/over God?? I'm sure this verse, this idea, contains an important secret to prevailing prayer. A secret that I want to discover. A secret that yields mighty results for His kingdom and His glory.

Oh may the Lord no longer be able to say that there is no one who calls on His name, no one who rises to take hold of Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment