Friday, May 28, 2010

A Switch-Back

If you've been following my blog lately then you've probably noticed that I've been learning a lot about prayer and faith. There were a couple of things that I had felt like God wanted me to pursue . . . and so I did. Both of them looked very impossible, but that's where faith comes in. :0) About 3 weeks ago, someone very near and dear to me (who shall remain anonymous), told me that sometimes God has us pursue things just for the journey, and that He doesn't really intend for us to have them.


Needless to say, that thought horrified me. It just doesn't sound like something a loving father would do, let alone a loving heavenly Father. To me that sounded like telling a kid that they could have a blizzard from Dairy Queen if they hiked up this mountain . . . but then when they got there, telling them that you never really intend to give them a blizzard, that the hike was good for them.

Well . . . after watching both of the things I was praying for die - at least for this year - I didn't know what to think. And I've had a ton of questions. Why would God have me pursue these things now if they couldn't happen this year?

As I was working with my Dad today I had a lot of time to think and pray . . . . and I gained a new visual of that "hike". If you've ever gone hiking in the mountains you've probably experienced a moment when you thought you were almost there - you could almost see your destination - and then, there it was, another switch-back . . . . . The only probably with this illustration is that my "switch-back" appears to be about 4 times longer than the distance I've already "hiked", but at least I have the best Guide and Friend to make the hike with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment