Friday, May 14, 2010

Say What???

Before I get started, I must issue a disclaimer. :0) I have this question on my heart that I have to ask. I think it has something to do with my spiritual gift, which I am still trying to understand. Anyway, I hope that you will be patient with me, and maybe share your thoughts too. :0)

There is a particular word that has lately caught my attention. It's a good word . . . But I really wonder at the way it is thrown around. It is the word "holy". As an expression of exclamation this word is frequently thrown out, but it is always paired up with one of a multitude of other words. The thing that gets me is that the object it is paired up with is often anything BUT holy. This got me thinking about other words that we use to describe God that we might be causually throwing around . . . "awesome" came to mind . . . And the question that came to my mind is . . .

Does the flippant use of these words have any affect on the way we view our God, or the way the world views Him? In other words, have we lost the concept - or at least lowered it - of His holiness because we so casually use the word "holy" to describe so many other things? . . . or the word "awesome"?

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment