Wednesday, May 5, 2010

His Masterpiece

For we are His workmanship, 
created in Christ Jesus for good works, 
which God prepared beforehand, 
that we should walk in them. 
Ephesians 2:10


This verse, I'm sure, is very familiar to all of us, but as I have been studying it I have found some really cool things . . . at least I think they are cool. :0)


I think the typical understanding of this verse says that God created me in Christ Jesus to do good works for Him, which He planned for me to do, before the world began. I just have to stay close to Him so that He can show me what they are.


Let's take a closer look at a few words . . .

  • "workmanship" - this is talking about something that is made, a workpiece or masterpiece. And I believe this Greek work "poiema" is where we get the word poem. This word is in the nomitive case, which means it is the subject.
  • "created" - this word means to create or produce from nothing, or to create and form in a spiritual sense, speaking of regeneration or renewal. This word is in the aorist tense, which means that it has "no time zone". The emphasis is not on when it took place, just that it really happened. It is in the passive voice, meaning that the subject is receiving the action - we are being created by God. And, not to confuse you, but this is a verb that is acting like a noun, which is also in the nomitive case . . . which means it is the subject.
  • and then, of course, there is the word "en", which I like so much. :0) This word is speaking of the idea of resting in someone or something, abiding. It is used twice in this verse . . . of our being created in Christ Jesus, and of the good works that we are to walk in
  • I guess I should probably mention that "God" is the subject as well. Yeah, Greek is very different from English. :0) They can have lots of subjects in one sentence. I think part of it is just to place extra emphasis on these words.
If I haven't lost you, you are probably wondering what I think is so cool. :0)  Well, I guess it all comes back to "sourcing". (I am not a Greek scholar by any stretch of the imagination, so if I am reading too much into this, please let me know.) I am seeing that I am His masterpiece, being created (or produced) as I rest in Jesus, with motion towards doing good works. The "for" good works is not the word that means "because" - He created me because He wants me to do good works for Him. No! He created me to be in relationship with Him, and as I am "en" Him there will naturally be motion towards doing good works. I am not doing good works for Him. I am resting in Him and He is doing them through me. 

Now, isn't that cool? ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment