Saturday, November 6, 2010

What's Your Disposition?

I get distracted pretty easy when I am studying a passage of scripture - there's just too much good stuff in the Word! I recently returned to Romans 8 (meanwhile Eph. is waiting for me to finish Rom 6-8...haha).  Well, I really enjoyed my study of Romans 8:6, yesterday, and wanted to share it with you. :0)

For to be carnally minded is death;
but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

"To be minded" is all one word. It is only used 4 times in the New Testament, and all of them are right here in Romans 8 (twice here in verse 6, once in verse 7, and once in verse 27). "To be minded" is talking about "the tendency or inclination of the mind, it's bent. It includes the act of the understanding and of the will." Another place that I looked replaced the word "to be minded" with "disposition". I'm not sure why, but I immediately thought of Jane Austen's movies (even though I haven't watched any in quite a while...). I guess because "disposition" is not an every-day word.

I looked up "disposition" and this is what I found:
  • your usual mood.
  • inclination: an attitude of the mind, especially one that favors one alternative over others.
  • a natural or acquired habit or characteristic tendency in a person or thing.
  • a habit, a preparation, a state of readiness, or a tendency to act in a specified way.
"Carnally" is the same word that is often translated "flesh". It's the part that thinks about me, myself, and I.

What if my disposition was of the Spirit instead of "of me"?? What if I had no thought for myself, but was always willing to serve?? What if my disposition was JESUS?? Oh glorious day! As I continue to "reckon" myself dead to sin, this will happen! Every command, every promise is true EN Jesus!

Oh Abba, keep me there, en Jesus, resting, abiding, dwelling in Him . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment