Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Sweet Name Of Jesus

Every morning, part of our family devotions includes reading the history behind a hymn, and then if we can, we sing the hymn. We were given "The One Year Book Of Hymns" almost two years ago, and we're not done yet. :0)  (Our schedule with camp plays a huge part in that.) The first year we read through all the hymns we knew and now, this year, we've been reading the ones we don't know. I wanted to share today's with you.

"At the age of eighty, John Newton was quite deaf and almost blind, but he still continued to preach. For his final messages, Newton brought an aide to the pulpit. The aide would read the next point of Newton's sermon outline, and Newton would then expound on that point.

On one particular Sunday, not long before Newton's death, the assistant read the first point and Newton said to the congregation, "Jesus Christ is precious." He paused and waited until the aide read the second point. Newton said again, "Jesus Christ is precious."

The aide reminded Newton that he had already said that. "Yes, I said it twice," the aged pastor replied, "and I'll say it again! Jesus Christ is precious." Then he asked the congregation to sing the hymn he had written many years before, "How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds."

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole
And calms the troubled breast;
'Tis manna to the hungry soul
And to the weary, rest.

Dear name! the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding place;
My never-failing treasure, filled
With boundless stores of grace!

Jesus, my Shepherd, Brother, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King,
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.

Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With ev'ry fleeting breath;
And may the music of Thy name
Refresh my soul in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment