Sunday, November 7, 2010

Are You Up For A Challenge?

In Sunday School this morning, our teacher mentioned that he came across a website last night that advertised memorizing the New Testament in five years. The whole New Testament . . . in five years!


Wow.


Wouldn't that be amazing! To have that much of the Word of God hidden in your heart.


I'll never forget one of the guest teachers we had at Word of Life Bible Institute. I can't remember his name - I wish I could, but I guess that's not what's important. He would come into class to teach, lay his open Bible on the podium, and then not look at it again . . . and yet he would quote passage after passage as he taught. He wasn't doing it to show off. He was so humble - so full of the Word of God.

I have made many attempts at memorizing scripture. The best I ever did was when I lived and worked in a place where we had to memorize a chapter a month. (So yeah, I can't take any credit for it. ;0) Every Sunday afternoon we had to quote our verses for the week, and sometimes Sunday afternoons weren't as restful as I would have liked . . . sometimes there was a bit of cramming. But I loved it! I loved that we did it as a group, that each morning when we gathered, we would quote (or eh, hum, read) the verses together and then add one for that day. And I loved the intense spiritual growth that occured during my time there.

This is going to be a bit more challenging. This will mean a chapter a week! And this will mean some changes in my schedule . . . probably some good changes. ;0)

Is there anyone else willing to tackle a challenge like this? I could use some accountability. :0)

The link to the program is here.

And some encouragement and advice for memorizing scripture by John Piper, can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment