Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's The Little Words . . .

. . . that can make ALL the difference.

I know, it main seem silly to you, but there are two little Greek words that I really like. When I first discovered these words I got so excited, and now, whenever I am reading or studying the Bible and I come across the word "no" or "not", I just have to stop and see which Greek word it is. :0)


The first word, Strongs # 3361, is the word "me", pronounced "may". This word implies a dependent and conditional negative. It is the negative of will, wish, and doubt. It also implies that one conceives or supposes a thing not to exist.

The second word, Strongs #3756, is the word "ou". This word expresses direct and full negation independently and in an absolute sense. It denies the fact. It expresses that a thing actually does not exist.

So let me give you an example, Colossians 3:2 . . .

Set your minds on things that are above,
not on things that are on earth.

This is the verse I was studying when I first discovered these two words. I thought it was really cool that the word "not" is the word "me". I am to set my affections on things above (namely Jesus) and live like the things of this world do not exist.  . . . wow.

This morning I was studying Romans 6:14.

For sin will have no dominion over you,
since you are not under law but under grace.

The word "ou" is used twice in this verse. Expressing direct and FULL negation, sin does not have authority over us any more!! Since we are NOT under the law anymore, but under grace. We are not simply "supposing" or "willing" sin to not have authority over us - it doesn't! We just have to "reckon", or believe, that to be true. . . . but that's a whole 'nother blog. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment