Monday, October 11, 2010

What Are You "Into"?


"Egg-stremists"
Earlier this summer, we were at a gathering and I was talking with a man who was giving up everything, and, with his wife, headed off to the jungles to be a missionary pilot. It was so fun to see how God had led him and his wife into this new adventure (now that their children were out of the home).

At one point in the conversation he said to me something like, "So I know your brothers are into electronics, (ham) radios, computers . . . . what are you into?" . . .
I sat there . . . . speechless. I'm not sure what happened. I couldn't think of any thing that I was "into". My mom had joined the conversation by this point, so she jumped in and said "She likes to study the Bible." He thought that was cool, but then asked her if I lived it. She, of course, had to say yes . . .

I got to thinking about the conversation later. I was embarrassed . . . . embarrassed that I couldn't think of what to say, and a little embarrassed to admit that studying the Bible was the best answer I could give. Why was I embarrassed?? Am I not seeking to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength? Am I not wanting Him to be the one desire of my heart?

I enjoy a lot of different things, but I don't ever want to be known as a runner (fat chance of that!), or someone who takes great pictures (though I'd like to take great pictures!), or . . . . . I want to be known as someone who loves Jesus. I want to be "into" the things that He is "into".

Anyway, this egg carton that I saw at the Gleaners today reminded me of this conversation. And it made me think about the question, "What am I obsessed with?" Being a "Jesus-Pusher" came to mind, but I don't think I'm ready for that titleyet. . . . . Stephen Manley, a pastor that I enjoy listening to, is a Jesus-Pusher. He puts out a weekly blog on the subject and it's always very inspiring and convicting. You can find it here.

I really liked this part of today's post:
There is only one focus; it is intimacy with Jesus. I do not want anything to distract or detour me from this obsession. He is so important to me; He is my life. Nothing can be allowed to interfere with His presence in my life. Everything is judged by how it affects this relationship.
That is my desire.

:0)

No comments:

Post a Comment