Sunday, October 31, 2010

Follow Up To ~ "A Not So Pleasant Topic"

(If you missed my previous post, I would encourage you to read it here.)


The last few days have been quite interesting. As I have continued my research my heart has grown heavier. Oregon has a HUGE problem with human trafficking. Here are a few quotes from the website "Oregonians Against Trafficking Humans" ~
“It's as if Oregon was designed with Human Trafficking in mind.” ~ Chris Killmer


What do Oregon's international airport, maritime port, Interstate 5 corridor, proximity to Canada, abundant harvest fields, and large urban sex industry have in common? Together they've created the 'perfect storm' of opportunity for turning freedom-loving Oregon into a west coast magnet for modern-day slavery.
There's more that I could share, but I'll let you go there if you want to read it.


The biggest problem is awareness. People are either in denial or completely oblivious - as I was. I have mentioned the problem of human trafficking to different people but haven't found anyone who knew it was a problem in the US . . . . . . until last night.


Last night I called a friend that I hadn't talked to in a long time, though we "see" each other on facebook. Human trafficking is her passion, the burden of her heart, and it has been for the last 3 or 4 years. She was encouraged by my interest in the subject and was a huge encouragement to me. She volunteers at a resource center serving homeless and at-risk for homeless youth and has a real heart to have a place, someday, where victims of human trafficking can recover.


She told me a story that really touched my heart.


She was at Taco Bell the other day, and there was a homeless teen wandering around asking people if he could use their cell phone. She watched as four people turned him down. Then he asked her. She had him take a seat, so she was able to hear some of the conversation. He had ran away from home months ago and was calling his mom in Roseburg to tell her that he wanted to come home. She was coming to get him. Sounds a little like the prodigal son. What if there had been no one to let him use their phone? What would he have done next? What would I have done if he had asked to use my phone?


The other night I was at the annual banquet for Wilderness Trails. One of the songs that was sung was Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace". As they sang the chorus, and I looked at the chains laying on the table, my heart broke once again for the many who are not free . . .

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

I'm not sure yet what God wants me to do. Not For Sale started Freedom Sunday this last March. The next one will be March 13, 2011. I noticed that there were only nine churches in Oregon that took part of them. The only two south of Salem were here in Jackson County. Wouldn't it be great if every church in Jackson County was a part of the next one? What would happen if the church, as a whole, saw the problem and started to reach out? What would happen if we became the hands and feet of Jesus to our community?

No comments:

Post a Comment