Friday, March 12, 2010

Focus

(I was reminded yesterday about how important focus is and thought I'd share this post I wrote last October.)

I've been think about focus a lot lately . . . . and how much it really does matter what we focus on. It's so easy for me to have my focus in the wrong place, and then my thoughts are in the wrong place, and my attitude suffers . . . When I keep my focus on Jesus, I can always have a smile in my heart. :0)  . . .


Then I thought of my two cameras and how different they are. One camera is a little digital point-n-shoot camera. It's a great little camera, but it has it's faults . . . . especially with focus. It has automatic focus and it tends to focus on whatever is closest to it - whatever is most obvious.

My other camera is an old manual Pentax SLR camera. It is obviously bigger, and obviously has to be focused manually. I can stand in the same position and adjust it to focus on something in the foreground, something in the background, or both at the same time. It really is a lot of fun to use.

As I was thinking about this, I thought of how easy it is to go into "automatic focus" and focus on the things in front of us or closest to us. If you are in "manual focus" you can focus on Jesus no matter what is closest to you. :0)

Set your affection (focus?) on things above,
not on things on the earth. Colossians 3:2

I did a study of that verse and came up with "my own" translation . . .

Exercise your mind, 
entertain it with thoughts of,
interest yourself in,
 that which is above,
not with the things here on the earth
- even pretend they don't exist.

Abba, help me to stay in "manual focus", with my focus set on You. :0)

* The bird picture is courtesy of my brother Josh. Thank you! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment