Thursday, March 18, 2010

Effervescent

I don’t like to read directions, but usually I do when I’m putting something medicinal into my mouth . . .

A couple days ago I stopped by some friends house and mentioned that my brothers were sick with the bug that’s going around. They asked if we had any Airborne and the wife ran to get me some. They mentioned that my sister and I should probably take one so that we don’t catch the “bug”, and sent me home with a whole bottle of it. . . .

I never had Airborne before but it is a bunch of vitamin C, zinc, and stuff like that, so I decided to try it. I opened the bottle and pulled out this monster of a pill and popped it into my mouth. haha. Let’s just say there was an IMMEDIATE reaction. :0) My mouth filled up SO fast and I ran for the directions . . . “drop one tablet in 4-6 oz. of water and let dissolve about 1 minute; drink”. I’ll spare you the details . . . ;0)

The word on the box  “effervescent” didn’t mean much to me before . . . but it does now, haha. And then the word “fervent” came to mind. A week ago, at our Wednesday night Bible Study/Prayer Meeting, we were looking at the verse in Romans 12 that says to “be fervent in spirit”. I had looked up the word “fervent” and thought it was a neat word picture when it said “to seethe, bubble, boil . . .”. That made me think of someone whose joy and love and enthusiasm just can’t be contained – they are about to burst! Well, that tablet was sort of “boiling” in my mouth and I wondered if there was a connection. As it turns out, there is. I looked up “effervesce” and it said “give off bubbles; be in high spirits”. When I looked it up in the old Webster’s Dictionary, it had a definition, but it also said to see fervent. So, needless to say, I have a very real picture of what it means to be “fervent in spirit.” :0)

“Do not be slothful in zeal, 
be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.”
Romans 12:11

PS – I mentioned this at Bible Study last night and found that I wasn’t the only one who’d made this mistake. ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment